Sunday, May 20, 2012

Basketball

I"m learning to play basketball.  I know what you're thinking, at my age I should already know how.  I've watched basketball for years and have played a game of pig once or twice, but I have never really learned anything beyond that.  I was always too afraid of looking silly and uncoordinated.

When I was young, I lived in Arizona and spent most of my time outside in a pool.  I didn't really know anyone who played basketball and by the time I really wanted to learn, I was middle school aged.  We had moved to a new town and there was a girls basketball team.  Those girls had been playing for a long time.  Needless to say, they were pretty good.  I, however, couldn't even walk and dribble the ball at the same time.  (Did I mention that I am not a natural born athlete and have poor eye hand coordination?)  I became embarrassed and ashamed at my lack of ability.  At the time, I didn't realize that what I needed most was instruction and practice.  I just believed that I was a terrible athlete and would never be good at any sport.  So I became content to just sit on the sidelines.  No more...

One of my sons goes out to shoot hoops almost every evening.  He asked me to join him.  So we began by playing pig.  Yes, he won.  Then I asked him to show me how to do a lay up.  He patiently showed me.  As I practiced my shot, he gave me helpful suggestions on how to improve.  I realized something that night;  I look like an uncoordinated middle aged woman who makes funny faces while she shoots a ball.  And I don't care!  I love it!  I am having a great time with my son and I am giving my kids great stories to tell about their mom.  (Usually involving the faces.) 

For so long I have missed the joy of playing the game for fear that I would look silly.  Now I understand that it is not about how I look, but about my willingness to try.  How many other things have I missed out on in life because I didn't want to look silly, or dumb, or awkward? And is it really so bad to look human and imperfect?  Most of us are drawn to people who allow their imperfections and humanity to show.  It reminds us that we don't have to try to be perfect ourselves.  We can simply be who we were created to be. And that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment