Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Motivation

I'm taking a tip from the Biggest Loser.  For the past several years, my family and I have watched the Biggest Loser.  The physical transformations are astounding.  My favorite part, however, is the emotional transformation of the contestants.  Most of them come to understand that their extra weight is just a symptom of their hurt, anger, betrayal, loss, or negative thinking.  I love it when the trainers help them see their flawed thinking and challenge them to reclaim who they really are.  They usually do this by getting in the contestant's face and yelling; pushing them to do more than they thought they could.  It makes me want a personal trainer for life.... without the yelling.  Someone who pushes me to reclaim who I really am.

Since I'm not going to hire a trainer, I thought I'd use another of their tools: signs.  There are several signs on the wall of the gym the contestants use to keep everyone motivated and focused.  So I have decided to put sayings, pictures, or other items on my wall to keep me motivated.  In the past I have kept these things in a folder or a box.   From time to time, I take them out.  I look at them, feel a bit of inspiration and motivation, and put them back.  The problem is, life moves in and I quickly forget those things.  (Unfortunately, as I age I find I forget a lot of things quickly.)  So out they come for good.  I want to be able to look at them and be reminded daily of who I really am, what makes me passionate, and why I'm pursuing my dream.  My hope is that over time, I will be pushed to do more than I ever thought I could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment