Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Retreat

This past weekend I spoke at a woman's retreat in Bedford Springs, Pennsylvania.  We were at a spa resort which boasts eight natural springs purported to have healing qualities.   It was wonderful.  It reminded me why I so enjoy going to retreats.

As women, we spend a lot of time making sure we have on our armor and our masks.  We want to protect ourselves from hurt and present a 'put together woman' to the world.  Then we go to a retreat.  It's a time for each woman to step out of her life and take a breath. It's a time where we can lower the armor and the mask and be who we really are.  We get to practice vulnerability.

I'm always amazed at how worshipping, learning, and laughing together can allow women the freedom to share more freely what's really going on in their hearts and minds.  We all start out as 'fine' and sooner or later are willing to talk about those things with which we are struggling.  And as we lower our protective gear and share our hearts, others can come in to encourage and love us.  It's a beautiful thing to see!  Women listening to one another, crying with one another, celebrating with one another, praying with one another.  It's seeing God's love in action.  It's magnificent! 

The key for me is to keep practicing vulnerability after the retreat ends.  Satan is quick to whisper that I have taken off the mask and someone might see the real me.  His lies say that who I am is not good enough and the mask must be put back on.  This is where I must turn my focus on God and His truth.  I am good enough and valuable because I am His.  God reminds me that with my mask and armor on, I'm not able to receive the encouragement, love, and grace I need.  So I keep the mask off.  It can be scary.  Sometimes others don't like what they see.  But mostly, others are just relieved because they too are choosing to live without the mask.  What freedom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment