Sunday, March 25, 2012

Approved

You have been approved.  We often see or hear these words in connection to a pre-approved credit card or loan.  I see the word almost daily as I slide my credit card to purchase groceries.  Yes, I go almost every day....I do have five teenagers.  

Approval, we all long for it.  Some are fortunate to receive it.  Some are just left longing to hear it.  I was one who was left longing.  You see, my parents divorced when I was very young.  I didn't have any memories of my father until I was 5 or 6.  That's when he and his wife came to visit for a weekend.  I remember being very excited.  I was sure that once he spent time with me, he would never want to let me go again.  The three of us went to the mountains.  I was thrilled because we went high enough to see snow which is a big deal for a girl living in the desert of Arizona!  I remember them taking me to Jack-in-the-box. They bought me dinner and watched me eat it in the back seat of their car.  I remember being annoyed because I thought we were going out to a fancy restaurant with cloth napkins, not to a fast food place to eat in the car!  Did I mention I was a bit precocious as a child?  Throughout the entire weekend I was on my best behavior.  I wanted them to approve of me.  I wanted to show that I was good daughter material.

Sadly, I was not approved; I did not measure up.  I did not hear from my father again for several years.  During that time a lie was planted and took root in my heart.  The lie that I was flawed; that there was something so wrong with me that even my father couldn't look past it.  That lie spurred me on to find a way to cover my flaws and make myself acceptable. I tried to follow all the rules, do well in school, and be responsible; anything that would allow me to hear those words I longed to hear....you have been approved.  The problem was that I could never do enough.  I was left tired and empty.

Then one day God sent me a birthday cake.....

A wonderful gentleman who lived down the block from us would bring us a cake from his family's bakery from time to time.  These cakes were both beautiful and very delicious.  More importantly, the cakes always included lavish amounts of encouragement.  And as a mom with five small children, I needed a lot of encouragement!

One day, he delivered a cake the day before my birthday.  The kids and I had just been discussing what kind of cake we should make when he rang the bell.   As I thanked him, I heard God tell me, "I celebrate your birthday every year.  Your earthly father may not be here, but I am and I love you."

I had been approved as a daughter and I've never been the same......

No comments:

Post a Comment